Friday, August 28, 2015

Throne of Glass Review




In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.

Throne of Glass. Oh all the feels and all the love that I have for this book could never be put down into words. I will start off by saying if you have not read this book go buy it and buy the other ones that go to this series as well because you will want to continue as soon as you put the book down. Sarah J. Maas is really good at making you wish you had the next book after you read the last few pages. The cliff hangers hang grab hold of you and will remain until the next year when the next book releases. I really enjoyed this book. I picked it up thinking that it sounded interesting but didn't expect to love it the way that I do. I didn't think it would be what it turned out to be which is one of the best books that I read in 2014. I immediately picked up book two, Crown Of Midnight. I really enjoyed Celaena as a character. I felt like everything wasn't handed to her, she worked extremely hard in this whole book to try to get somewhere other than where she was. I had heard this was similar to the hunger games but that is not the case. She was a bit rough around the edges in the beginning of the book but to understand why she was the way she was you would have to understand what she had been through and everything that had played a role into her being that way. You will see her make changes through this book and more changes through the rest. I really enjoyed the fact that she was not always so rough around the edges and "I'm a badass assassin" we also got to see a girl who loves dresses, and dancing. I enjoyed the fact that she was well rounded with her personality and for that I could relate.This was a real aspect to her character because in real life not every girl is a tom boy or just a girlie girl. Some times you have girls like Celaena and myself who have a bit of both to them. For me that was a refreshing change compared to other characters in other books I have read lately.  As you do have people competing really that is the only similarity.  There was action, a bit of romance and political aspects to the story. The romance wasn't heavy through the book which is what I enjoyed as well considering there is a lot of YA right now that has a lot of romance thrown into the story lines. You are not told a whole lot of the political things until later on in the books but there is a little bit thrown in there. I will say that if you have read this book and haven't picked up book two yet because you didn't love this book then please give the second book a chance because the books get better and better as they go along. More and more action take place with this story. I did really enjoyed Chaol who is the Captain of the Guard. At first I didn't think I would like him what so ever because he was very hard toned but I grew to love him. As far as the Prince, Darian I really enjoyed seeing him through his journey. Though we do not see much character development in him it was still a character I loved regardless. I will say if you enjoy fantasy, kick butt female lead characters, a bit of magic and action within a story definitively pick this book up. As a reminder if you did read this book and not sure if you want to move forward within the series pick up Crown of Midnight and after that book I would say if you still don't like it then this book series isn't for you. Just at least read the second book because while I think this book is great it gets better and better as it goes along. 




No comments:

Post a Comment