Friday, August 28, 2015

Gone Girl Book Review






On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer? 

I read Gone Girl in 2012  before everyone jumped on board and the hype took place. Gone Girl was something different for me to read because I had never read an adult mystery or thriller book before this one. I will be honestly I was a bit worried and felt a bit out of my comfort zone. I picked it up anyway and I am so glad that I did. This book is written in two perspectives, one being Nick in the current time and the other being Amy's Diary entries. So every other chapter you see current time with Nick while the next chapter you read what Amy has written in her Diary from the day they met until the day she has gone missing. This I think was a wise decision to make on Gillian's part. It worked out well for this book. I don't think I would have enjoyed it quite as much if it wasn't written in this way. I found myself reading this book until 4 A.M in the morning. I just couldn't put it down until I discovered what happened to Amy and even when I did I still couldn't put it down. So even after the mystery is gone you still have such a drive to continue reading because at this point you need to see how the Chess pieces are moved and how the outcome plays out. There is not much I can say about this book without giving things away. I will say that while a lot of people didn't like the ending of the book I actually loved it which I am not sure what it could say about me lol. There is a lot of he said she said in each chapter and I think that really confuses you as a reader because you really aren't sure what to think. While I do have my thoughts about Nick again I really can't say anything without giving it all away. This was the best book of the year when I read it back in 2012. This is definitely a book for mature readers only. I loved how when you are reading the book you get Amy's point of view on certain things and when Nick is discussing it you get a different story of what happened. Gillian discussed that she wanted to write a book that dove into the idea that you really don't know who your married to. That people only allow you to see or know what they are willing to share. I think this is a great concept. After reading this book it really made me think about my own marriage and my husband. The idea that there could be things that husband has done or something about him that I am not aware of only because he doesn't want me to know. It really makes you observe your own life and household. I would definately recommend this book because as I stated before I really enjoyed it.

















No comments:

Post a Comment