Friday, August 28, 2015

A Court Of Thorns And Roses Book Review





A Court of Thorns and Roses written by Sarah J Maas was not a disappointment at all. Honestly I have to say that she is by far one of my favorite authors ( one of 2) and she did not let me down. This is a Beauty and the Beast retelling about a girl named Feyre who lives with her two sisters and father in a little cottage home in the woods. Due to circumstances with her father's business they lost everything and now it is up to Feyre to take care of her family and see to it they have food to eat and money coming in. While out in the woods hunting she comes across a deer big enough to feed her family for a couple weeks but before she can kill it a wolf approaches. Now she must decide how to secure the deer for her family to eat. She kills the wolf and takes the deer home for her family to eat. There is a treaty between humans and fairies that she just broke. Humans are not to kill  fairies as fairies are to leave the humans alone as well. So there is a wall separating the two types. Not knowing that the wolf she just killed was in fact a fairy now she must pay with her life as well. So when the High Lord Fairies comes to collect the debt Feyre is not so pleased with the options she is left with. Either she is to be killed in her home right then or she is to come live with him and Fairies in their part of the land for the rest of her days. She decides to live her days out in the Fairies land but now she must come to terms with the decision she made and leaving her family to fend for themselves which is something they do not know how to do. This circles around the story of Feyre and Tamlin the High Lord and how they must work out this arrangement if they even can and deal with the treats that surround them. 
I will say that I seen a lot of the Beauty and the Beast in this story. Sarah did a great job spinning it into a story of her very own. It was a nice change to see more of an adult setting to her writing compared to her writing compared to her Throne of Glass series which is A Young Adult series. Though this was a retelling I still did not expect the ending of the book to turn out the way it did. While there was somethings that were to be expected from the story there was still some things that I didn't expect at all. Feyre is a character that we can relate to. She is not good at everything, and is not made to be perfect that most female characters are made in books. She had her flaws and she also had her strengths. I found myself not really attached to her as a character as much as I found myself attaching to Tamlin. I found that he was a great addition to the story. Normally I find myself more attached to the main lead but in this case I found it was different. We also are introduced to other side characters that I really enjoyed as well. This book had me laugh a few times, made me worry a couple times and even broke my heart for a moment or two a couple times. This did not focus only on the romance as it had a lot of action and other issues at hand. We mostly focus on the issue that there are threats to the land and their world. I rated this a 5 out of 5 stars and will be continuing the series without a doubt. This is a must read especially if you love fantasy or even Beauty and the Beast. 







No comments:

Post a Comment